The Institute of Human Genetics (Institut de Génétique Humaine, IGH) is a major CNRS unit dedicated to excellence in fundamental research and pathology. The principal research interests of the IGH are genome dynamics, developmental genetics, epigenetics, and molecular and cellular pathology.
We are more than our DNA...
The lab of Giacomo Cavalli at the Institute of Human Genetics of Montpellier (CNRS and University of Montpellier), in collaboration with researchers at INRA, ETH and Caltech has demonstrated the existence of transgenerational epigenetic inheritance (TEI) in Drosophila. By transiently modifying the 3D organization of chromosomes and the function of Polycomb proteins, whose function is essential in development, the Cavalli lab has obtained fly lines characterized by different eye colors in the presence of the same DNA sequence. These differences depend on a variable degree of Polycomb-dependent gene silencing that can be stably but reversibly transmitted through a large number of generations. This epigenetic inheritance applies to transgenic as well as natural populations and can be modulated by environmental conditions, such as growth temperature. These results have been published in the journal Nature Genetics on April 24, 2017. Read the article at Ciabrelli et al. Nature Genetics, doi:10.1038/ng.3848
Artwork (c) Elisa Cavalli
Seminar Series on Molecular Bases of Human Diseases 2017
Amphitheater Genopolys, at 11:30, from April 4th to June 30th, 2017
Seminars of the month @ IGH
- 02-06-2017 (11h30) "Seminar series on Genetics and Development: Adult neural stem cell pools homeostasis: single cell and population analysis in the zebrafish telencephalon"
Laure BALLY-CUIF (Institut Pasteur,Paris, France)
- 06-06-2017 (14h00) "Seminar series on Genetics and Development: How cells read and write the tubulin code"
Antonina ROLL-MECAK (NIH Bethesda, USA)
- 26-06-2017 (14h30) "Interview Post-doc : A walk along different roles of factors involved in transcription and export of RNAs"
Varinia Garcia Molinero (Université Genève )
- 28-06-2017 (11h30) "A unified biochemical aproach for transkingdom characterization of RISC loaded, and non loaded reserve smallRNAs"
Thomas Grentzinger (ETH Zürich )
- 30-06-2017 (11h30) "Seminar series on Molecular Bases of Human Diseases: Living well with our microbiota: implication for HIV care"
Jean-Pierre ROUTY (Experimental Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
Some recent papers
- Akkouche, A., Mugat, B., Barckmann, B., Varela-Chavez, C., Li, B., Raffel, R., Pelisson, A., Chambeyron, S. "Piwi Is Required during Drosophila Embryogenesis to License Dual-Strand piRNA Clusters for Transposon Repression in Adult Ovaries" (2017), Molecular Cell: 66, 3, 411-419
- Ciabrelli F, Comoglio F, Fellous S, Bonev B, Ninova M, Szabo Q, Xuéreb A, Klopp C, Aravin A, Paro R, Bantignies F, Cavalli G "Stable Polycomb-dependent transgenerational inheritance of chromatin states in Drosophila" (2017), Nat. Genet.:
- Descours B, Petitjean G, López-Zaragoza JL, Bruel T, Raffel R, Psomas C, Reynes J, Lacabaratz C, Levy Y, Schwartz O, Lelievre JD, Benkirane M. "CD32a is a marker of a CD4 T-cell HIV reservoir harbouring replication-competent proviruses" (2017), NATURE: 543(7646):564-567
- Hodroj D, Recolin B, Serhal K, Martinez S, Tsanov N, Abou Merhi R, Maiorano D "An ATR-dependent function for the Ddx19 RNA helicase in nuclear R-loop metabolism" (2017), EMBO J.:
- Grey C, Clément JA, Buard J, Leblanc B, Gut I, Gut M, Duret L, de Massy B. "In vivo binding of PRDM9 reveals interactions with noncanonical genomic sites" (2017), Genome Res.: 27(4):580-590
- Rodríguez-Martínez, M., Pinzón, N., Ghommidh, C., Beyne, E., Seitz, H., Cayrou, C., Méchali, M. "The gastrula transition reorganizes replication origin selection in Caenorhabditis elegans " (2017), Nature Structural & Molecular Biology: 24(3):290-299
- Viziteu E, Klein B, Basbous J, Lin YL, Hirtz C, Gourzones C, Tiers L, Bruyer A, Vincent L, Grandmougin C, Seckinger A, Goldschmidt H, Constantinou A, Pasero P, Hose D, Moreaux J. "RECQ1 helicase is involved in replication stress survival and drug resistance in multiple myeloma" (2017), Leukemia:
- Pinzon, N., Li, B., Martinez, L., Sergeeva, A., Presumey, J., Apparailly, F., Seitz, H "microRNA target prediction programs predict many false positives" (2017), Genome Res: 27, 2, 234-245
- Luco RF "Retrotransposons jump into alternative-splicing regulation via a long noncoding RNA" (2016), Nat Struct Mol Biol: 23(11):952-954
- Stanzione M, Baumann M, Papanikos F, Dereli I, Lange J, Ramlal A, Tränkner D, Shibuya H, de Massy B, Watanabe Y, Jasin M, Keeney S, Tóth A "Meiotic DNA break formation requires the unsynapsed chromosome axis-binding protein IHO1 (CCDC36) in mice" (2016), Nat Cell Biol.: 18, 11, 1208-1220
- Bonev B, Cavalli G. "Organization and function of the 3D genome" (2016), Nat Rev Genet: 17(11):661-678
- Loubière, V., Delest, A., Thomas, A., Bonev, B., Schuettengruber, B., Sati, S., Martinez AM., Cavalli, G. "Coordinate redeployment of PRC1 proteins suppresses tumor formation during Drosophila development" (2016), Nature Genetics: 48, 11, 1436-1442
- Bregnard, C, Guerra, J, Dejardin, S, Passalacqua, F, Benkirane, M, Laguette, N "Upregulated LINE-1 Activity in the Fanconi Anemia Cancer Susceptibility Syndrome Leads to Spontaneous Pro-inflammatory Cytokine Production" (2016), EBioMedicine: 8, 184-194
- Ribeyre C, Zellweger R, Chauvin M, Bec N, Larroque C, Lopes M, Constantinou A "Nascent DNA Proteomics Reveals a Chromatin Remodeler Required for Topoisomerase I Loading at Replication Forks" (2016), Cell Rep: 15, 2, 300-309
- Robert T, Nore A, Brun C, Maffre C, Crimi B, Bourbon HM, de Massy B "The TopoVIB-Like protein family is required for meiotic DNA double-strand break formation" (2016), SCIENCE: 351(6276):943-9
EMBO Conference “Nuclear Structure and Dynamics”
04-10-2017, L'Isle sur la Sorgue, France
... the 2 last ones
Morchikh, M., Cribier, A., Raffel, R., Amraoui, S., Cau, J., Severac, D., Dubois, E., Schwartz, O., Bennasser, Y., Benkirane, M. . HEXIM1 and NEAT1 lncRNA form a multi subunit complex that regulates DNA-mediated innate immune response (2017), Mol. Cell.
Robert T, de Massy B, Grelon M.. TopoVIL : a molecular scissor essential for reproduction (2017), Med. Sci. (Paris).